Supporting and strengthening Local Authority Associations at ACP national and regional levels (ARIAL)
Project Number: 2010/245-457
Terms of Reference
Technical Officer ARIAL Programme “strengthening and supporting local government associations” stationed at SARO
Aim of this assignment
Contribute to the general objective of ARIAL: promote the political recognition and engagement of the local governments in the Southern African region as important players and partners of development, by strengthening and supporting local government associations.
Support the senior technical officer ARIAL Programme in his/her key responsibilities:
- Development of training materials on:
- development opportunities
- development needs of local governments and local government associations
- Help train technical and political officials of Local Government Associations in the region in matters related to advocacy and lobbying
- Generate overviews of priorities in local government development needs and development opportunities
- Support Local Government Associations in gathering input from local governments on their development needs
- Support Local Government Associations in identifying development opportunities in their country
- Drafting of communication- and policy strategies, focussing especially on lobby and advocacy role of SARO and the Local Government Associations in the Southern Africa region.
- Implement the communication- and policy strategy of SARO; for example through the formulation of position papers and an action plan
- Monitor and evaluate activities of Local Government Associations in matters related to lobbying and advocacy
- Mobilise additional funding for SARO
Financial reporting to ARIAL consortium; ensure that deadlines are met and instructions are followed-up according to contract (cf. Financial administration manual)
Most Important Outputs
• Communication and lobby strategy of SARO
• Overview of development opportunities and needs of LGAs
• Best practices documentation
• Training materials
Contracted by VNG International, the ARIAL junior technical officer of SARO will report directly to the Senior Technical Officer and will be monitored by SARO and the Municipal Development Partnership, based in Zimbabwe. The Municipal Development Partnership is the regional partner of the ARIAL programme for Southern Africa.
University degree in a relevant field
- Proven analytical skill
- Experience with local governments in the Southern Africa region
- Experience in project management and knowledge of financial management is an asset
- Good English language skills
- Good knowledge of Portuguese and or French will be an added advantage
- A team player with a high degree of innovation and good report writing skills,
- Ability to work with minimum supervision a must.
Nationals from the Southern Africa region, especially women and minority groups, are encouraged to apply.
Period of the assignment
1 January 2012 to August 2013
Place of the assignment