ARIAL Regional Training on Local Government Associations Lobby, Advocacy and Communication Strategy for East Africa
ARIAL Regional Trainings for Local Government Associations in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region
The Municipal Development Partnership for Eastern and Southern Africa recently coordinated the organization of two regional trainings under the ARIAL Programme. MDP-ESA organized the trainings in close collaboration with the Regional Local Government Associations in the eastern and southern Africa region, namely UCLGA Southern Africa Regional Office (SARO) and the East African Local Government Association (EALGA).
The trainings aimed at strengthening Local Government Association advocacy and lobby roles. With the title “Developing Local Government Association Lobby, Advocacy, and Communication Strategies” the objectives of the training were:
- To build on the first regional Trainings held in Arusha and Johannesburg in November 2011, which focused on increasing the knowledge of the LGAs on the development possibilities with national institutions and (regional) and development partners (esp. the EU)
- To enhance the capacity of participants in developing the lobby/ advocacy and communication strategies of their own LGA
- To get acquainted to tools used in advocacy and lobbying, e.g. position papers, policy briefs
- To share some institutional experiences with advocacy and lobbying
- To draft respective lobby, advocacy and communication strategies
The Southern Africa training was held in Harare, Zimbabwe from 26 – 27 June 2012. The workshop brought together 40 participants from Local government Associations from the following Southern African countries: Botswana, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Angola was represented by an official of the Territorial Administration Ministry.
Arusha, Tanzania was the host of the East Africa training which took place from 4 – 6 July 2012 at the SG Resort. The training was officially opened by the East African Community Deputy Secretary General Hon. Jesca Eriyo. 35 participants including representatives from 7 LGAs in East Africa, ACP representative, UCLGA representative attended the training.
This project is funded by the European Union through contracting partner ACP Secretariat and Implementing partner VNG International